Sunday, April 29, 2012

Money down the drain

Do you have that same experience, that kitchen appliances bought on TV or on the market are nothing but a waste of money? Have you ended up with devices you have stored away somewhere deep down in your cabinets? Were you embarrassed for the money that went down the drain when you bought that kitchen utensil? I know what you mean.. Those kitchen appliances seem like heaven when demonstrated by professional sellers. They even make you try out the tool right there on the spot. You are being praised like the best chef ever. But of course, when you come home, you all of a sudden become the most clumsy person around. Things don't work the way they were promised. Your mood alters and the catch is no longer that promising. So you hide it in your cabinets, never to appear on your countertop again.

Despite good intentions, my sister-in-law and I were attracted by the presentation of the Nicer Dicer Plus. I had seen the device on TV, earlier that week and I had looked it up on the Internet to check it out. I thought it was pretty awesome, but too expensive (knowing that I have plenty of kitchen appliances). I was interested to hear the market price. No shipping costs and there was a way to try it out for yourself. Yes, we bought one each. My fridge was loaded with crispy vegetables and the fruit bowl was screaming for fruit salad. As soon as I came home, I emptied the fridge and diced up my first cucumber-tomato salad with the Nicer Dicer Plus. The cubes came out real well: truly fine brunoise. Loved it! So I kept going and decided we were going to have stir-fry for dinner. The appliance gave me perfect coarse cubes of zucchini, pepper, onion, carrots, cauliflower. Awesome! American potato wedges, scalloped potatoes, quartered hard boiled eggs: it does the trick!
Just rinsed the blades and the container, before I cubed and sliced the ingredients for a summer fruit salad: mango, pineapple, grapes, apple and melon. Yes, this device is going to cut it! I'm happy! I hear my sister-in-law is as excited. It's been in the dishwasher several times by now and I'm looking forward to using it again. Let me come up with some recipes to fill our plates with perfectly chopped veggies!


No comments: